TFS - 2005 or 2008 Beta 2

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM
We have VS 2008 Beta 2 installed. We want to start using TFS for our repository. are we going to have trouble going from the TFS 2008 Beta to TFS 2008 release? Would be we better off/safer to go with TFS 2005 and then upgrade to TFS 2008 when it is released?

Thanks for any input.

-Cam
Nov 5, 2007 at 8:00 AM
I would really love to hear an answer to this as well. Thanks!
Nov 10, 2007 at 9:14 PM
From everything I have read, inplace update will be supported for TFS 2008 Beta 2 to RTM. This was a key point in our decision to migrate from TFS 2005 to 2008 Beta 2.

Adam
Nov 12, 2007 at 6:10 AM
Edited Nov 12, 2007 at 6:14 AM

adamtsi wrote:
From everything I have read, inplace update will be supported for TFS 2008 Beta 2 to RTM. This was a key point in our decision to migrate from TFS 2005 to 2008 Beta 2.

Adam

Yes, I subsequently read that Microsoft's go-live license for Beta 2 includes the assurance that updating to RTM is supported. However, I would love to find out if there will be any migration support not just for an in-place upgrade from 2005->2008 or 2008 Beta 2 ->2008 RTM, but some kind of real database import capability. I read that when you install and point to an existing 2005 database, the inplace upgrade will modify the schema. However, I haven't seen (a) an option to point to an existing database AFTER installing and performing the same inplace upgrade, or (b) an option to import data from an existing database into a new one either at installation or later....

Basically, it seems to the only supported scenario right now is to perform an inplace upgrade to an existing database (or copy running under another instance) at installation time only....

Nov 12, 2007 at 1:36 PM
I would agree with your assessment of supported scenario's. I was looking for the same options that you listed and did not find any official support for them. If you are not doing an inplace upgrade, you start to get into a migration scenario, and there are some options available there. However, you still have to update your database during the TFS install.

We were actually in the process of setting up a new datacenter, so migration was something that had to be done anyway. I ended up doing an inplace upgrade of our current server, then doing a combination of things to move the data to a new server in a different domain. I have a writeup on my blog if anyone is interested (http://blog.salvoz.com/2007/10/21/InstallingTFS2008Beta2.aspx). As I explain in my post, I was following this guide (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404883(VS.80).aspx) along with blog posts and a little trial and error.